Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Prithviraj Chavan Maharashtra Chief Minister

Minister of State in the Prime Minister's Office Prithviraj Chavan has been named the next Maharashtra Chief Minister.

Prithviraj Chavan's name was formally announced by senior Congress leader Pranab Mukherjee on Wednesday morning, after a meeting with the Congress President Sonia Gandhi at her 10 Janpath residence. Chavan met Gandhi early today and Pranab Mukherjee and AK Antony joined them.

Pranab Mukherjee said Antony had communicated the decision to the Maharashtra Pradesh Congress Committee chief Manikrao Thakre. A list of four contenders for the post had narrowed down to two by Wednesday morning - Prithviraj Chavan and Radhakrishnana Vikhe Patil - but Chavan was always leading the race.

After his name was announced, Chavan said, "I accept CM's post with humility. I will try to take everybody with me together...The Congress leadership and MLAs in Maharashtra called upon me to undertake this responsibility of heading the government in Maharashtra at an important juncture. I seek the cooperation and support of all and I promise I'll do my best to give leadership to the state."

Source : NDTV